Wednesday, June 6, 2012

NYC Shopping Report, Part I

My NYC plus-size shopping experience got slightly derailed even before it started. The midtown Lane Bryant was listed on Google Maps as "permanently closed", something I'd swear it wasn't last week when I made my maps. ReDress NYC, the only plus-size vintage shop I've ever heard of, closed its doors in November. The midtown branch of Avenue is having an everything must go sale prior to closing its doors. Perhaps there just aren't very many fat women in Manhattan...?
I had to go to Avenue regardless, as I was about to run out of underwear. I find shopping at a going out of business sale to be rather depressing. It makes me feel like a scavenger, picking over the body of someone not quite dead for valuables. Still, I got four pairs of panties, a set of summer jammies, two tops, and two pairs of jeans for $132, so I can't complain too hard.
Now I'm off to Monif C to buy an infinity dress, and to cruise the fashion district with a friend from college!

2 comments:

  1. I've been finding over the last couple of years that the plus-size sections of other stores are getting better. JC Penney (who is already on my 'nice' list for their LGBT advocacy) has a fairly large plus-size section here in their store, with some really cute and flattering things. Maybe that's why some of the specialized shops like Avenue and Lane Bryant are struggling? I know the Avenue here doesn't ever seem to have anything that fits or flatters me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could be! There are also a number of up-and-coming designers and online sellers that are probably giving both LB and Ave a serious run for their money, such as Domino Dollhouse and ASOS Curve. I know that they've consolidated their online shop into Sonsi.com.

    Fun fact-ish (cannot verify): The lady who made my wedding dress, a fantastically big African-American woman who always wore kente-cloth caftans and headdresses, used to work for Lane Bryant. I do not know if this is still the case, but she said that when she worked there, the buyers for the chain were a couple of gay men whose attitude tended towards "let's see what godawful clothes we can get those fat bitches into this season". It puts a lot of LB's questionable polyester prints into context if true... ><

    ReplyDelete